Web ring of Canadian news, analysis and blogs.
Check It Out:
Two Row Times – the Spirit of all Nations. A free weekly national news publication covering issues from Six Nations/New Credit and beyond the Grand.
Check It Out:
Global Labour Column
The Global Labour Column aims to provide a forum in which labour movements and their allies around the world can connect, debate, and share knowledge and experiences. It is our hope that, by drawing on leading academic researchers and trade union leaders and activists, we will stimulate debate on union responses to the crisis and, more broadly, to the challenges of globalization.
Check It Out:
Solidarity Halifax – We are organizing in the Halifax Regional Municipality and across Nova Scotia to create space for respectful dialogue, debate, activism and education on alternatives to capitalism. Capitalism is an oppressive economic system that puts profits ahead of the needs of people and the planet. It is a system in which great wealth and power are concentrated in the hands of a few. To oppose capitalism is to demand something better for ourselves, our families, and our communities.
Check It Out:
Red Wedge magazine is a publication written and edited by revolutionary Marxist activists, artists and cultural workers. We believe a fundamentally more equitable and just world--a socialist world--is possible, and that working and oppressed people are capable of winning this world. Art and culture have always been intimately tied with the political and economic realities of our time, both good and bad. Red Wedge seeks to examine this connection.
Check It Out:
Reflections on a Revolution (ROAR) – is an online magazine that seeks to amplify the voice of our generation amidst the clamorous cacophony of a rapidly changing world. ROAR aims to bring you some of the world’s most inspiring news, stories, analysis, ideas, actions, books, poems, tunes, photos, videos and doodles from the front-lines of the global justice movement.
ROAR was founded in Oakland, CA., in 2010 as an initiative of Spearhead Action Group, an NGO that champions the creation of a more just and more sustainable world.
Check It Out:
Art Threat is an online publication devoted to political art and cultural policy. We write about art that seeks to interpret, influence, or reflect upon society. We discuss policy as it pertains to culture. And we showcase artists whose work inspires social change. Whether your passion is video or visual art, design or drama, music or literary musings, we’ve got you covered with a blanket of information and eye candy.
These links do not necessarily reflect the position of the Socialist Project. Suggestions for our Links page can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Against the Current: is Solidarity's bi-monthly analytical journal, and is a contribution to a broad discussion of a wide variety of issues among the Left. An in-depth analysis and a thorough review of issues is the norm for this magazine.
- Alternate Routes: is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal published semi-annually in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada.
- Amandla: is a new and exciting popular left monthly magazine launched in South Africa in April 2007 by Amandla Publishers.
- Antipode - A Radical Journal of Geography: has been publishing radical thinking on the subjects of place, space, landscape, scale, environment, uneven development, boundaries and connections for nearly 40 years.
- Cambridge Journal of Economics: founded in 1977 in the traditions of Marx, Keynes, Kalecki, Joan Robinson and Kaldor, provides a forum for theoretical, applied, policy and methodological research into social and economic issues.
- Canadian Dimension Magazine: published 6 times per year, including 2 double issues. We are a magazine which shows there is an alternative to the corporate agenda and the dictates of the global market; that the dream of a better society is still alive. Founded in 1963 by Cy Gonick.
- Capital and Class: provides a critique of global capitalism in the Marxist tradition, reaching out into the labour, trade union and other radical movements, such as anti-racism, environmentalism and feminism. Published three times a year, since 1977.
- Capitalism, Nature, Socialism: leading international journal on ecological socialism.
- China Left Review: a bilingual web-journal brought to you by the China Study Group.
- CineAction: has been publishing continuously since 1985. We feature essays and reviews by film critics and scholars and we cover a wide range of filmmaking – classic and contemporary popular film, third world cinema, political documentary and experimental film and video.
- Critical Sociology: publishes articles from all perspectives within a broad definition of critical or radical social science. The journal grew out of tumultuous times of the late 1960s.
- Dollars & Sense: publishes economic news and analysis, reports on economic justice activism, primers on economic topics, and critiques of the mainstream media's coverage of the economy.
- Feminist Economics: a peer-reviewed journal that provides an open forum for dialogue and debate about feminist economic perspectives.
- Green Left Weekly: launched in 1990 by progressive activists to present the views excluded by the big business media, is now Australia's leading source of local, national and international news, analysis, and discussion and debate to strengthen the anti-capitalist movements.
- Historical Materialism: is a Marxist journal, appearing four times a year, based in London. Founded in 1997.
- International Socialist Review: is published bimonthly by the Center for Economic Research and Social Change.
- Journal of Post-Keynesian Eonomics: scholarly journal of innovative theoretical and empirical work that sheds fresh light on contemporary economic problems. It is committed to the principle that cumulative development of economic theory is only possible when the theory is continuously subjected to scrutiny in terms of its ability both to explain the real world and to provide a reliable guide to public policy.
- Labor Notes: is a non-profit organization that has been the voice of union activists who want to "put the movement back in the labor movement" since 1979.
- Labour, Capital and Society / Travail, capital et société: is an interdisciplinary, bilingual, refereed journal on labour issues concerning the regions of Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and the Middle East. It is published twice a year. Established in 1979.
- Labour / Le travail: Journal of Canadian Labour Studies/Revue d'Études Ouvrières Canadiennes. (back issues online)
- Latin American Perspectives: founded in 1974, is a theoretical and scholarly journal for discussion and debate on the political economy of capitalism, imperialism, and socialism in the Americas.
- Links: International Journal of Socialist Renewal: a journal for the post Cold War left; a journal that rejects the Stalinist distortion of the socialist project; a journal that takes into account ecological questions; a journal that is taking steps to unify and bring together the forces for socialism in the world today; a journal that aspires to unite Marxists from different political traditions because it discusses openly and constructively. Founded 1994.
- London Progressive Journal: is a UK-based weekly online magazine covering domestic and international current affairs from a left perspective. Founded 2008.
- Monthly Review: began publication in New York City (May 1949), as cold war hysteria gathered force in the United States. The first issue featured the lead article "Why Socialism?" by Albert Einstein. And this is their web blog: MRZine.
- New Labor Forum: provides a place for labor and its allies to test new ideas and debate old ones. Founded 1997.
- New Left Review: established for forty years as a key journal of the international Left, NLR has been transformed since 2000 into a new resource for the new century. Founded 1960.
- Presse-toi à gauche: Nous sommes un groupe de rédacteurs et rédactrices, d’auteurs et journalistes, de militants et militantes, de caricaturistes, graphistes et spécialistes en informatique, désireux de faire vivre au jour le jour une agora et une tribune pour la gauche en marche du Québec.
- Race and Class: foremost English language journal on racism and imperialism in the world today - contains contributions from scientists, artists, novelists, journalists, politicians and black and Third World activists and scholars.
- Radical America (1967-1999): was a product of the campus-based New Left of the late 1960s, specifically the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), but the magazine long outlived its seedbed. Its trajectory shows something about the effort to place an intellectual stamp on the radical impulses of the late twentieth century.
- Radical Teacher: is an independent magazine for educational workers at all levels and in every kind of institution. The magazine focuses on critical teaching practice, the political economy of education, and institutional struggles.
- Redwire Magazine: provides Native youth with an uncensored forum for discussion, in order to help youth find their own voice.
- Reflections on a Revolution (ROAR): is an online magazine that seeks to amplify the voice of our generation amidst the clamorous cacophony of a rapidly changing world.
- Research in Political Economy: Edited by Paul Zarembka, founded 1997.
- Rethinking Marxism: engages and sustains critical conversations about the tremendous challenges and exciting opportunities facing Marxism and the global Left. Founded in 1988.
- Review of International Political Economy: has successfully established itself as a leading international journal dedicated to the systematic exploration of the international political economy from a plurality of perspectives.
- Science and Society: Published quarterly since 1936, Science & Society is the longest continuously published journal of Marxist scholarship, in any language, in the world.
- Socialism and Democracy
- Socialist Register: intellectual lodestone of the international left since 1964, was founded by Ralph Miliband and John Saville in London.
- Socialist Studies: published by the Society for Socialist Studies, is peer-reviewed and interdisciplinary. The Society's purpose is to facilitate and encourage research and analysis in Canada with emphasis on socialist, feminist, ecological, and anti-racist points of view. Launched in 2005.
- Studies in Political Economy: is an interdisciplinary journal committed to the publication of original work in the various traditions of socialist political economy. Established in 1979.
- Studies in Social Justice: dealing with the social, cultural, economic, political, and philosophical problems associated with the struggle for social justice.
- Upping the Anti: is a radical journal of theory and action which provides a space to address and discuss unresolved questions and dynamics within the anti-capitalist, anti-oppression, and anti-imperialist politics of today’s radical left in Canada. Founded in 2005.
- Act Up In Sask: Saskatchewan's Online Activist Network
- Briarpatch: fighting the war on error. Briarpatch provides a thoughtful, principled, and irreverent alternative to the false consensus of the corporate media. Founded in 1973.
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA): is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social and economic justice. Founded in 1980.
- The Citizens' Press: news and views for the Working People of New Brunswick.
- Climate and Capitalism: aims to present a wide range of Marxist perspectives on climate change, and to provide socialists with the information and analysis they need to understand and respond to the crisis.
- The Dominion: Canada's grassroots national newspaper. Founded 2003.
- L'Humanité: translation in English of selected articles from the French daily newspaper.
- In Defence of Marxism: website of the International Marxist Tendency.
Spanish language portal for most topics related to Latin America by Latin American researchers and scholars. Includes links to many sites covering the topic.
Portal para la mayoria de los temas candentes sobre Latino America por Investivadores e intelectuales Latino Americano incluye enlaces para muchos sitios web sobre este asunto.
- Insurgent American: a practical strategic resource.
- Institute For Globalization and Social Movements: news and analysis from Russia.
- Iranreview.com: critical analysis of Iranian politics in the context of global political economy
- Israeli Occupation Archive: was founded on the belief that any occupation is morally wrong and must be opposed.
- LaborStart: Where trade unionists start their day on the net.
- Levy Economics Institute : is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, public policy research organization. Founded in 1986.
- Marxmail mailing list and archive
- People's Voice: Canada's leading communist newspaper - latest news on the fightback from coast to coast.
- Rabble: built on the efforts of progressive journalists, writers, artists and activists across the country. Launched on April 18, 2001, just before the protests against the Summit of the Americas in Quebec City, and leapt onto the Net with the kind of coverage you could only get from the point of view of the rabble.
- Radical Notes: endeavors to coordinate the radical voices around the globe, with special focus on South Asia.
- The Real News: is a non-profit news and documentary network focused on providing independent and uncompromising journalism.
- Seven Oaks: a weekly, online magazine based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Launched February 21, 2004, it aims to be a non-sectarian voice for progressive change.
- Socialist Solidarity: is a network of Canadian socialist activists committed to a democratic Marxist perspective in analyzing and acting upon the world today.
- Socialist Voice: is a forum for discussion of today’s struggles of the workers and oppressed from the standpoint of revolutionary Marxism. It is based in Canada but is international in scope.
- Straight Goods: is a watchdog working for Canadian consumers and citizens. Its purpose is to help you save money, protect your rights and untangle spin with investigative reports.
- Turtle Island Native Network: Aboriginal news and information network.
- ZNet: a community of people commited to social change.
- Association for Union Democracy
- Canadian Auto Workers
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers
- Canadian Union of Public Employees ,
CUPE, local 3903
- Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly brings together activists within the broad working class movement, to explore the experiences and approaches to struggle that both unite and divide us as a starting point for overcoming divisions and building greater collaboration, exchange, strategic discussion and action amongst us.
- Greening OPSEU created to support OPSEU's environmental policy and programs. We will bring you up-to-date information about what OPSEU is doing on the environmental front as well as links to other interesting articles and activities.
- Industrial Workers of the World
- Rail Workers United: cross-craft inter-union caucus that includes all rail workers in North America.
- Teamsters for a Democratic Union
- Trade Unionists Against The War
- Members for Democracy (formerly: UFCW Members for Democracy)
- United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America
- UAW - New Directions Movement
- Center for Labor Renewal America: working class organizing and activism for the transformation and renewal of labor as a progressive social movement.
- Global Labor Strategies: ideas and resources for the global labor movement.
- Learning Work: provides access to a range of courses, resources, research projects and public activities on learning and work.
- Work and Lifelong Learning in the New Economy: aims to help understanding of the ways the global econonomy is being transformed.
- Workers For Union Renewal (WUR): worker activists whose priority is to build the kind of base across workplaces, unions, and communities that contributes to reviving and renewing the capacity of the working class to effect change.